Dog Skin Problems
Many people do not think of dog skin problems as a serious veterinary problem. However, skin problems can be quite severe and debilitating. If you need a veterinarian in Downey, CA for help with your dog’s skin problems, Firestone Animal Hospital is ready to assist you. Our veterinarian will identify whatever is ailing your dog and provide treatment accordingly.
Common Dog Skin Problems
The most common canine skin problems include:
- Allergic dermatitis: A dog can have an allergic reaction to food, grooming products, or irritants in the environment. If this happens, the dog will often scratch a great deal, and you will see a rash on the dog’s skin.
- Yeast infection: Dogs with yeast infections often can't stop licking/chewing their toes and scratching their ears. You'll notice itchy, irritated, or discolored skin.
- Folliculitis: Superficial bacterial folliculitis will lead to scabs, bumps, or sores on your dog's skin. This is an infection that is more visible in short-haired dogs. In long-haired dogs, it might be easier to look for shedding and a dull coat with scales on the skin underneath. Typically, it occurs along with other skin issues.
- Impetigo: This is another bacterial infection that is most common in puppies. It leads to pus-filled blisters that can burst and develop a crust. Usually, they will form on the hairless area of the abdomen. This condition is usually not serious and can be treated using a topical solution.
- Seborrhea: This can create scales and greasiness on a dog's skin. A lot of the time, this is a complication of some other medical issue, such as a hormonal abnormality or an allergy. However, in some other cases, it can be genetic and last for a dog's lifetime.
The above list is by no means exhaustive. If you notice skin problems in your dog, you should take him or her to an animal hospital for help immediately.
Veterinarian in Downey, CA
At Firestone Animal Hospital, we have years of experience identifying and addressing pet skin problems. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at (562) 928-1341.